This release has been a long time coming, in fact it’s been 5 months in the making – phew! And it represents a major breakthrough for my game and for me as a rookie indie developer as I now have the core elements of a magic system all but implemented.
Whilst this is still an Alpha release the basic game is playable as I’ve implemented all the races and classes, with each class having its own set of spells.
I’ve included lots of links to articles I’ve written that hopefully explain my thinking behind my design/game choices.
Highlights of this release include:
- 3 out of 4 spell categories implemented (offence, buff and debuff)
- Spell targeting now implemented for valid targets only
- Spell damage type resistances added for monsters
- Spell effects are applied instantly and over time
- All monster types use the same wound/trauma system – making for a tough game
- All monster types use the same attributes
- Monster information provided by the (L)ook command
- Death has been implemented
- Monsters are created based on racial and class criterion
- Monsters can use ranged or melee attacks.
- Critter monster types cannot travel through (c)losed doors
- Critters now use a stateless A.I.
- Basic birthing options included for monsters
- Invisible monsters
- Lots of legacy and hard coding removed in favour of config files
- Improved the performance of the drawing to the screen functions
- User Interface changed to show bonuses & penalties to the player stats
- Implemented a working over time sub-system
- Implemented a working delayed effect sub-system
- Modding of monster race and class information possible
The full change log is included with the game download.
What’s not included in this release is a fully implemented magic system that includes:
- Spell casting chance of success
- Damage resistances being applied
- Different meta-energy types being used for the different classes.
- The support spell category
- Monsters casting spells against the player character
- Damage from spells is not fully implemented as I wanted
My roadmap states I will be developing my monster framework further including new birthing options and an improved level of A.I. I will however be reorganising my monster definitions to include humanoid and fantasy type creatures that can cast spells against the player character.
I hope you find this Alpha release interesting at the least and that it shows you the spirit at least of what I’m trying to implement.
If you have any comments please let me know and I’ll get back to you.
The download can be found here.